What Is That White Film On My Furniture?!

January 29, 2012 | Written by

Healing, Health, Parenting, You Bought What?

The air is so dry in our house that my hands feel like they are going to crumble to a thousand pieces all over my computer keyboard as we speak. I can’t seem to drink enough water to quench my thirst and the static in my dog’s fur creates jolts of electricity when he rubs against the couch. At night when I cover my daughter with a blanket, the sparks fire in the darkness. Clara coughs throughout the night because of the dry air.

Get a humidifier, you say. Well, we have an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier that leaves this annoying white film on our furniture. However, I did some research¬† to find out was causing this and discovered it is spewing minerals and microorganisms into the air that can cause many health issues and respiratory problems. Sheesh! The problem is exacerbated by hard water. Needless to say, I stopped using it immediately and it’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve used it.

From more research, I found that ultrasonic and cool mist humidifiers can create this white dust and the impeller versions of these can also harbor bacteria that spews into the air. You can use distilled water to minimize it, but who wants to buy that much distilled water?!

Warm mist humidifiers and vaporizers (essentially the same thing) are generally healthier because the boil the water to kill the bacteria and no minerals are released into the air. The downside it that these are not recommended for the croup and they use up more energy. Also, if put in a place that a child can reach, they can be a burn risk.

I chose to purchase a warm mist humidifier yesterday. Clara’s cough was better last night. I have it placed high on her dresser and it didn’t create any white film. She did have the croup last year, so if she ever catches that again (very possible since her Daddy has a history of the croup), I’ll be on the lookout for a cool mist evaporative humidifier which uses a wick to trap any minerals from spewing into the air.

I would also like to find a humidifier that you can take apart and actually clean the inside. The ones I’ve seen only have an opening where you can slosh vinegar or bleach around. I’d like to be able to get inside and wipe/scrub it down, especially since the directions always emphasize regular cleaning so as not to cause build up, mold, and bacteria. Let me know if you’ve had success with a particular humidifier.

 

 

 

 

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply